Rolling vineyards. Craft breweries. Pure scorching springs. Farm-to-table meals. Paso Robles, California is likely one of the finest weekend getaways in California for foodies & booze vacationers, and top-of-the-line places to visit on California’s Central Coast!
However too many individuals make the error of assuming that wine tasting in Paso Robles is the one choice for booze-loving guests, though like, lets be actual… the wine tasting there may be wonderful.
Even my know-it-all husband, who grew up down the highway from Paso Robles in Morro Bay, was shocked to find that how rather more than simply wineries Paso Robles has to supply (psst: we’ve additionally obtained guides to the best Paso Robles wineries and things to do in Paso Robles).
On our many journeys to Paso Robles over time, we’ve gotten to know the various wonderful craft breweries in Paso Robles serving up creative sours, west coast IPAs, and barrel-aged porters.
However that’s not all: there’s additionally a plethora of Paso Robles distilleries, serving up spirits associated to wine like grappa, vodka and brandy, all made out of wine grapes and craft distilled in small batches. And sure, they’re yummy.
Merely put, Paso Robles is a booze traveler’s dream vacation spot. And we, expensive readers, are very a lot booze vacationers. Simply name Paso Robles the Hermione Granger of the booze world!
Right here’s our information to the most effective breweries in Paso Robles, plus just a few picks for distilleries and eating places to spherical out the right weekend getaway.
Planning a visit to Paso Robles & the Central Coast? We’ve obtained a number of articles that will help you plan your journey! Have a look or view them all here:
Psst: Paso Robles is likely one of the finest detours a Freeway One highway journey! We’ve created an in depth 10-day California Coast itinerary that will help you plan your excellent Pacific Coast Freeway highway journey. Enter your e mail beneath and we’ll ship you a printable model, plus tricks to plan your journey.
Printable Freeway One Itinerary
This FREE printable Freeway One itinerary will assist information you in your highway journey! Plus, we have included our San Francisco strolling tour, and we’ll ship you some useful tricks to plan your journey.
Find out how to Get to Paso Robles
Paso Robles is positioned on California’s Central Coast, which is midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. This makes it a straightforward journey from nearly wherever in California – Northern or Southern.
Paso Robles is sort of near the coast: possibly 40 minutes away, accessible by driving by way of attractive rolling hills and unimaginable surroundings. It’s a fast drive from the Pacific Coast Freeway, so don’t skip a go to when you’re highway tripping probably the most stunning freeway/highway journey/shoreline on the planet (not that we’re biased … properly we’re, however we’re proper).
Likewise, if you go to Paso Robles, don’t neglect about its sister cities in San Luis Obispo county, akin to Morro Bay, Cayucos, or San Luis Obispo itself. You possibly can simply spend per week exploring the Central Coast (and we expect it is best to).
This whole space is the place Jeremy grew up – particularly, in Morro Bay – so it’s close to and expensive to our hearts. However if you happen to’re foodies, wine snobs, and/or booze vacationers (*raises hand*), Paso Robles is the star of the present.
- Journey Tip: Give your self a minimum of 2-Three days to expertise Paso Robles. A day journey to Paso Robles will restrict you to solely a small handful of wineries, breweries, distilleries, and eating places, and that’s actually unfair to your self. Higher make it a complete weekend as a substitute. Deal with yo-self! Our guides to things to do in Paso Robles & the best wineries in Paso Robles will assist spherical out your weekend getaway!
The Finest Paso Robles Breweries
For a very long time, if you thought West Coast beer, you thought IPA. Or possibly you didn’t, however belief me, it’s a factor. One of many pioneers in West Coast IPAs was (and is) Inexperienced Flash Brewing. After 11 years as Brewmaster at Inexperienced Flash, a brewer by the title of Chuck determined to maneuver up north to Paso Robles and begin his personal craft brewery along with his spouse MJ.
We’ve seen fairly just a few beer operations whereas we’ve been touring, however none of them screamed ardour fairly like Silva Brewing. Tucked away in a room not a lot bigger than a storage, your complete group of solely 4 staff (wait that may’t be proper, maintain on let me test my notes….holy crap, it’s proper) toil away to craft the dozen beers on faucet, AND they’re releasing new flavors nearly weekly!
Silva Brewing opened in December 2016, however the mixed pressure of affection and Chuck’s huge information and repute from 19 years within the beer trade have already made Silva Brewing a powerhouse within the Paso Robles brewery scene.
For those who’re a fan of Inexperienced Flash, you’ll love Silva Brewing’s flagship brew, the Paso Pale. Additionally price testing are the “Nut Farm” Walnut Nitro Milk Stout, “Thoughts on my Orange” Belgian Fashion Saison, and “S-Shot” Smoked Porter. You learn that proper. Smoked. Porter.
Silva can also be consistently releasing new, experimental beers, just like the fruity and tart Kettle Bitter Rosé, a lightweight pink glowing Rosé beer fermented in white wine barrels. It’s the right midway level between wine and beer – and that’s completely Paso Robles!
Earth & Fireplace Brewing Co.
Earth & Fireplace Brewing Co. is not only a microbrewery – it’s Paso Robles solely nano-brewery! Earth & Fireplace brews rustic, unfiltered craft beer just some blocks away from the downtown sq..
With a small number of simply four rotating beers, you’ll be capable to attempt actually every thing on the menu.
Come right here for relaxed enjoyable (like, large Jenga and trivia nights sort of enjoyable), befriending lovable puppies (we love a dog-friendly brewery!) and naturally, scrumptious beer.
Barrelhouse Brewing Co.
Positive to get Tyga caught in your head, Tin Metropolis (AKA Marquita Crossing) is an ideal place for a self guided booze crawl whereas in Paso Robles! Primarily, it’s a assortment of tasting rooms and craft breweries all constructed round one block.
The concept behind Tin Metropolis was to offer a handy place for customers to style the most effective cider, beer and wine in Paso Robles with no need to go to the precise wineries in or breweries in Paso Robles.
The spot has grow to be an area favourite, and it’s the place to be on a Saturday evening (or so we hear … we’re method too lame for that kind of exercise.)
You possibly can stroll the whole thing of Tin Metropolis in simply 5 minutes, however you received’t wish to take so little time as a result of there are SEVENTEEN (!!!) tasting rooms so that you can duck into! Most of them are wine tasting rooms (that is wine nation, in spite of everything) however for craft beer lovers, don’t miss BarrelHouse Brewing Company.
A craft brewery with a ravishing out of doors seating space and a big selection of beer, BarrelHouse Brewing Co. is finest identified for craft beers like their Mango IPA and Barrel-Aged Stouts & Sours, plus wackier creations just like the scrumptious and completely distinctive craft Laborious Seltzer infused with tea.
And never that this results the style of the beer, however we’re undoubtedly suckers for beautiful packaging, and BarrelHouse has rad restricted launch can and bottle designs.
It’s the right spot to take pleasure in a refreshing brew outside on the patio whereas having fun with one of many day by day rotating meals vehicles and, every so often, dwell music live shows!
- Psst: Like laborious cider? Us too! Subsequent door to BarrelHouse Brewing is Tin City Cider, that has a wide selection of ciders together with the Templetucky, a mouth watering apple and blood orange cider fermented and aged in a bourbon barrel! As a Californian married to a Kentuckian, that makes us very pleased.
Santa Maria Brewing Co.
Santa Maria Brewing Co. is likely one of the oldest Central Coast breweries, creating award-winning beer since their founding in Nipomo in 1994.
At this time, they’ve a number of taprooms and several other scrumptious sorts of craft brewed beer. Attempt one among their many types of refreshing IPA – Blood Orange is our favourite – or the Black Gold Chocolate Porter.
Firestone Walker Brewing
For those who’ve spent greater than 5 minutes in California, you’ve most likely seen 805’s eponymous brand.
805 is an extremely well-known California beer, and never simply because its title represents the world code of an enormous chunk of California residents (together with my husband, who won’t ever surrender his 805 telephone quantity). It’s a rattling good beer, and it’s brewed proper in Paso Robles at Firestone Walker!
The Firestone Walker brewery is a unbelievable place to pattern some lesser-known and tasting-room-only Firestone Walker beers. And also you’ll additionally discover a menu filled with scrumptious gastropub brewery meals to pair together with your beer – the Mac & Cheese and the mushy pretzel are particularly good!
For those who’re new to craft beer, Firestone Walker is a unbelievable place to take a tour to grasp the way it all works.
By the way in which: pulling as much as the brewery, chances are you’ll discover a powerful odor of molasses. We do not know why, however it smelled wonderful.
Aside from 805, we additionally advocate attempting the Nitro Milk Stout and the bitter beers, Krieky Bones and SLOambic. They’re bang on if you happen to’re a fan of Belgian Krieks or Lambics!
And no journey to Firestone can be full and not using a style of their different flagship beer, the Double Barrel Ale.
Or heck: attempt ’em all! Flights are round $7 for four beers, except you may have fancy style like we do and order the dearer pours (our flight was $11, which continues to be fairly darn good).
California Coast Beer Firm
This craft brewer is a more recent addition to the Paso Robles brewery scene. Situated close to downtown in a former auto physique store that has been lovingly refurbished utilizing recycled supplies, the brewery incorporates a attractive, dog-friendly patio – shared with the vineyard subsequent door, in traditional Paso Robles style.
California Coast Beer Co. focuses on traditional American ales and lagers together with Belgian-style beers. You’ll discover one thing to please each palate, from a lightweight and refreshing Lager (yep, actually) all the way in which to a darkish, malty porter, with a number of crisp IPA’s and Pale Ales in between – cuz, ya know, California.
In a state filled with scrumptious and refreshing IPA’s, KiloKilo may very well have a few of the absolute best – and sure, that’s a TALL order!
Entering into the KiloKilo beer backyard on one among Paso Robles’ many sunny days, you would possibly really feel a bit such as you’ve flown to Hawaii. Lean into it and order a poke bowl or a Loco Moco wood-fired pizza – and pair it with a refreshing Milk Shaka Tangerine IPA.
On their brewery menu, you’ll discover KiloKilo specialties in addition to “Visitor Faucets” from different Paso Robles breweries, which simply goes to point out how tightly knit the brewing (and wine-making, and distilling) group is right here!
Bonus: The Pour Home
Though technically not a Paso Robles brewery, the Pour Home is the most effective taproom to pattern craft beer in Paso Robles.
Earlier than we went to The Pour Home, we had the identical dialog with a number of locals:
“Do you want beer?”
“Go to the Pour Home.”
They had been proper, after all. With 27 rotating faucets, The Pour Home is Paso Robles’ one-stop-shop cease for anybody on the lookout for a refreshing beer.
After we visited, most beers on faucet had been from the Central Coast, and all from California. Apart from like, PBR, however like…does that actually rely?
The Pour Home is a good two-for-one-stop as properly, as a result of positioned behind the constructing is one among our favourite Paso Robles breweries, Silva Brewing!
The Finest Paso Robles Distilleries
Though Paso Robles has an unimaginable brewery scene, it’s undeniably most well-known for its wine. However in Paso Robles, vineyards, breweries and distilleries all go hand in hand!
A lot of the Paso Robles distilleries we visited had been both a part of an present vineyard, or crafting spirits utilizing the byproducts of the wine trade, like grapes and barrels – very similar to the most effective Paso Robles breweries benefit from scrumptious barrels and wine-making remnants to craft inventive, flavorful brews.
There are a great deal of distilleries in Paso Robles, they usually’re all helpfully laid out Paso Robles Distillery Trail web site. You should use their useful map to plot out your route. Listed below are our Three favourite distilleries in Paso Robles:
- Re:Find Distillery: Re:Discover distillery was began by the Villacana Winery homeowners in an try to attenuate waste. They take juice that’s usually discarded within the winemaking course of and switch it into prime quality, uniquely crafted spirits. Attempt the cucumber vodka or the herbaceous gin, two of their hottest specialties.
- KroBar Distillery: Tucked away behind the Barton Household Wines tasting room subsequent to a coop of gently clucking hens sits the tiny tasting room of KroBar craft distillery, top-of-the-line distilleries in Paso Robles. Right here, you’ll discover grape-based brandy, herbaceous gin, and wine aperitifs. However KroBar doesn’t cease there. It’s moved previous its wine roots into the land of pure experimentation: rye whiskey, gin aged in rye whisky barrels, even sweet-smelling bourbon.
- Red Soles Stillhouse: Sharing the tiny tasting room of Purple Soles vineyard, Purple Soles’ specialty is California Hooch, a grape-based cross between moonshine and brandy and the idea for all of their drinks. Attempt it in every thing from Absinthe to Limoncello to a Cinnamon Hooch that smells like fall!
- Willow Creek: The distillery at Opolo Vineyards focuses on brandy distilled with fruit. Attempt their Bartlett Pear Brandy in addition to a mouth watering Walnut Brandy made out of the walnut grown on the winery. Have in mind, the distillery solely presents tastings over the weekend.
The Finest Paso Robles Eating places
It will be a disservice to Paso Robles’ wonderful beer and meals scene to not embody a few of the finest eating places on the town. In spite of everything, nothing pairs higher with beer than a scrumptious meal, and many of the drink menus at Paso Robles’ eating places are crammed with native choices! Did we point out how tight-knit the group is right here?
So, do the accountable factor and break up your day consuming with a meal at one among these scrumptious Paso Robles eating places:
- The Hatch: This is likely one of the finest eating places in Paso Robles and positioned proper downtown, calls itself calls itself “A Easy Rotisserie and Bar.” However with menu gadgets like bone marrow, burrata on toast, and grilled octopus, it appears to be something however easy. Make sure you order the particular of the day, and don’t neglect to pair it with an area beer from their in depth menu.
- Fish Gaucho: It is a up to date California-Mexican restaurant and tequila bar positioned in downtown Paso Robles. Attempt the quick rib tacos and elote paired with a smoked fireplace and blood cocktail, made out of blood orange juice and mezcal.
- Orale: Consider a cross between a classy, locally-sourced meals home and a conventional taco stand and also you’ve obtained Orale. Their scrumptious, flavorful tacos are to die for! Attempt their road tacos, which include your alternative of meat, or one among their extra sturdy parrilladas, that are principally fajita-style meats served to you in a scorching scorching pan.
- Thomas Hill Organics: We love a great farm-to-table restaurant, and Thomas Hill Organics actually does the trick in Paso Robles. They serve natural native dishes with Central Coast wine choices, and the outcomes are really scrumptious. Attempt the clams & chorizo appetizer or a grilled locally-sourced pork chop with apple butter and mashed potatoes.
Paso Robles Lodging: The place to Keep
You’ve gotten a number of choices in terms of the place to remain in Paso Robles. From vineyard accommodations to mattress & breakfasts to budget-friendly AirBnBs, we’ve obtained you coated! These are our picks for the most effective locations to remain in Paso Robles for any finances.
Keep in an Inn Downtown
Proper in the midst of downtown lies the Paso Robles Inn. Who couldn’t ask for a greater location if you happen to’re attempting to remain within the motion? Situated immediately throughout from Paso’s Downtown plaza (psst! And likewise throughout from the finest espresso on the town at Spearhead Coffee), that is the prime place to begin for testing bars, eating places, and naturally, tasting rooms.
However except for being probably the most completely positioned lodge on the town, your room additionally comes full with its very personal mineral scorching springs, fed right into a jacuzzi tub by yourself personal balcony. And, sure, it’s as romantic because it sounds.
That is the following smartest thing to staying in an precise vineyard with lodging, and arms down the place to be if you happen to don’t wish to break the financial institution however nonetheless need a winery-themed lodge expertise.
- Journey Tip: Yow will discover some actually low-cost offers for midweek stays. Relying on the season and time of week, you possibly can seize a room for as little as $119/evening!
- Paso Robles Inn: Check prices | Deal with: 1103 Spring Road, Paso Robles
Keep in an Airbnb
For those who like having all of the comforts of dwelling if you journey, ebook an Airbnb! For those who haven’t used Airbnb earlier than, use our referral link to avoid wasting $40 off your first keep. Listed below are just a few of our favourite picks:
- This pet-friendly cottage is only a couple blocks away from the downtown plaza, and strolling distance to a lot of Paso Robles’ finest tasting rooms.
- On the outskirts of Paso Robles, the Olive House is in the midst of a 20-acre working olive farm. Nestled in a hillside and surrounded by views of rolling hills, olive bushes, and grapevines, this AirBnB has two superbly appointed grasp suites full with fireplaces and personal terraces the place you possibly can sip your morning espresso and odor lavender, rosemary, lemon and sage wafting by way of the air.
- This rustic cabin is the right place to attempt glamping – surrounded by rolling vineyards simply off of Freeway 46 West!
Is your mouth watering? We’re feeling somewhat thirsty, personally … which Paso Robles brewery are you headed to first? Drop us a remark beneath!
Planning a visit to Paso Robles & the Central Coast? We’ve obtained a number of articles that will help you plan your journey! Have a look or view them all here:
Psst: Save this publish for in a while Pinterest!